We think that as we grow older, our brains
grow older too. However, Inner Child stays with you forever, controlling your
lives unconsciously, unless Adult Mind takes charge.
Your Inner Child was developed at age 0-6, and
that is the emotional part of the brain, the life force that contains
tremendous energy and with proper guidance can manifest the desired results of
your Adult Mind, a logical, rational part of the brain that has matured by age
25-30 and has the ability to problem solve
Question the Inner Child asks
Think of your inner child as the part of you
that questioned, early in life:
• “Am I safe?”
• “Am I loved?”
• “Do I belong?”
• “Is it okay to make mistakes?”
• “Can I express my feelings?”
• “Do I have to please others to be accepted?”
• “Am I safe?”
• “Am I loved?”
• “Do I belong?”
• “Is it okay to make mistakes?”
• “Can I express my feelings?”
• “Do I have to please others to be accepted?”
The important point is that growing older does
not automatically mean that our emotional patterns grow up with us.
We can be successful, capable adults and still
carry childhood fears, unmet needs and protective responses.
However, that harsh inner voice isn't an
objective narrator reporting the truth about you. It's a learned imaginative
script that typically formed in early relational contexts where love felt
conditional, where mistakes were costly, or where being seen in your full
humanity didn't feel safe
When the past shows up in the present
Sometimes the inner child speaks through our
reactions rather than our words.
You may:
- Become
extremely upset when someone criticises you.
- Feel
rejected when someone needs space.
- Struggle
to say “no” because you fear disappointing people.
- Constantly
seek reassurance.
- Become
a perfectionist because mistakes feel unsafe.
- Feel
responsible for everyone else's emotions.
- Avoid
conflict at almost any cost.
- Find
it difficult to trust or receive love.
- Hear a
harsh, critical voice inside your head.
These patterns are not necessarily signs that
something is “wrong” with you.
They have developed as ways of protecting you.
Why healing the inner child matters
Your inner child is the main command centre when it
comes to your nervous system, because it contains suppressed emotions
Healing does not mean changing the past.
It means changing our relationship with what
happened — and with the younger parts of ourselves that may still be carrying
those experiences.
Healing can help us develop:
- Greater
self-compassion.
- More
emotional awareness.
- Healthier
boundaries.
- Greater
choice in how we respond.
- More
confidence in expressing our needs.
- A
stronger sense of safety within ourselves.
- The
freedom to imagine a future beyond old protective patterns.
The goal is not to get rid of the inner child. The goal is for the healthy Adult Mind to take charge while listening compassionately to the needs of the Child Mind.
How Somatic Coaching Can Help
From a neuroscience perspective, the inner critic
co-opts the same brain networks that should be generating hope, love, courage
and creative solutions. But, instead of
simulating hopeful futures, your nervous system starts running scenarios of
threat.
Somatic work recognises that our experiences are
not only thoughts and memories. They are also reflected in the body. Somatic
work brings calm and loving energy into your interaction with your inner child.
Instead of simply asking, “Why am I like this?”,
somatic healing invites us to become curious about what is happening in the
body.
In this way, somatic coaching can help create a bridge between understanding your feelings and experiencing yourself differently. Through self-compassion, greater body awareness and supportive somatic coaching, you can begin to create the safety, understanding and nurturing that your younger self may have needed.
In this way, somatic coaching can help create a bridge between understanding your feelings and experiencing yourself differently. Through self-compassion, greater body awareness and supportive somatic coaching, you can begin to create the safety, understanding and nurturing that your younger self may have needed.
Video link:
https://youtu.be/tEODyh5jetE?si=9JHpSCZsayFNccGy
Comments
Post a Comment